down arrowMenu

Graduate College

Application Process

This section applies to all students taking graduate courses at the University of Northern Iowa after receiving the bachelor's degree.  The admission procedures of the Graduate College are administered separately from those of the university's undergraduate program.  Prospective students may apply for graduate admission under one of two categories:  Degree Status or Non-Degree Status.  Each category carries specific regulations.   


State specifically the type of admission for which you wish to be considered.

  1. Degree status should be selected by students who are seeking admission to a department to pursue a program of studies which can culminate in a degree.
  2. Non-Degree status has been established to meet the needs of students who:
    1. wish to take courses which do not comprise a degree program.
    2. plan to demonstrate competence in graduate studies in support of consideration for admission to a degree program at a later time. NOTE: Academic departments are not obliged to count toward their degree programs any credit for course work undertaken in a non-degree status.

Note: Students with a recognized baccalaureate degree who are seeking 1) a second baccalaureate degree, 2) teaching endorsements or approvals through UNI recommendation, or 3) miscellaneous undergraduate course work may be admitted through the undergraduate Office of Admissions. These students pay undergraduate fees and may not apply credit earned toward a graduate program.

Admission to graduate study does not guarantee admission to an advanced degree program.  The academic departments are responsible for the determination of admission to degree programs, but the Graduate College has final authority on the admission status of admitted students (unconditional or provisional).  It is the responsibility of the department to send official notification of departmental action. Requests for non-degree enrollment are reviewed and acted upon by the Office of Admissions.  Students may apply online or print an Admissions form and mail it to the Office of Admissions, GIL 002, Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0018.

Note that application materials may be submitted via e-mail to:


U.S. Students

A non-refundable application fee must be sent to the Office of Admissions, unless you received or anticipate receiving a degree from the University of Northern Iowa. The application review process will be delayed until the application fee is received.

U.S. students must submit the following to the Office of Admissions for the admission file to be considered complete: the Application for Admission to Graduate Study; the application fee; official transcripts from the college or university granting the baccalaureate degree and any other colleges or universities attended after earning the bachelor’s degree, if other than the University of Northern Iowa; and any required test scores (GRE, GMAT). Departments may require additional application materials (departmental application, letters of reference, goal statement, application for assistantship and/or tuition scholarship, etc.). U.S. students should contact the department for this information, but submit these items directly to the Office of Admissions.

Office of Admissions - Grad Admissions
002 Gilchrist Hall
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0018

Applications for Degree-Status admission and all credentials required for admission should be on file in the Office of Admissions at least one month before departmental review. Students must contact the academic department regarding application review deadlines. Application for non-degree status will be accepted up to five days prior to registration. 

Note that application materials may be submitted via e-mail to:


International Students

International students should note the special application deadlines required by International Admissions at:

International students should use the online International Application for Admission or request an application and instructions by contacting International Admissions, GIL 002, UNI, Cedar Falls, Iowa 50614-0018. Telephone: 319-273-5925.  See this Information regarding individual department requirements for TOEFL/IELTS scores, letters of recommendation, and additional application materials required. The application fee for international students must be submitted before the review process begins.


Information needed by international students to complete application:

  • -  Semester you expect to begin studies at UNI.
  • -  Permanent address information: Street address, city, state or province, postal code and country.
  • -  Country of birth.
  • -  Country of citizenship.
  • -  Country of residence.
  • -  Native language.
  • -  Degree you are seeking at UNI.
  • -  Field of study at UNI.
  • -  Most recent college entrance examination test scores as appropriate to your level of study.
  • -  Type of visa you expect to hold while at UNI.
  • -  Educational background beginning at grade 9; dates of attendance, school level, school name and school location.

International students must submit the following to the Office of Admissions for the admission file to be considered complete: the Application for Admission to Graduate Study; the application fee; official transcripts from the college or university granting the baccalaureate degree and any other colleges or universities attended after earning the bachelor’s degree, if other than the University of Northern Iowa; TOEFL or IELTS scores (if the native language is not English); any other required test scores (GRE, GMAT); and any other application materials required by the graduate program (departmental application, letters of reference, goal statement, etc.). International students should contact the department for information about required application materials (see also, but international students should submit their materials to:

Office of Admissions-International Admissions
002 Gilchrist Hall
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0018, U.S.A. -Or- via e-mail to:


All Students

Completing the Application

Type or print all information, particularly your name, so that there will be no misunderstanding. Your legal name should always be used. If any of your records appear under another name, give this name also.

It is your responsibility to arrange to have the necessary credentials submitted. Follow the checklist at the bottom of this page and instructions to make sure all required steps in the admission process are completed so that a missing item will not cause delay in considering your application.


Credentials Required

You must file an official transcript from each college or university from which you have received a degree, if the degree was obtained from an institution other than UNI. Degree status applicants who have attended other colleges or universities after earning the bachelor's degree must file an official transcript from each institution attended. Only transcripts sent directly from the issuing institution to the UNI Office of Admissions are considered official. Unofficial or personal transcripts are not acceptable.

The Office of Admissions has responsibility for the collection and verification of all official transcripts, records, and required standardized examination scores. This office forwards copies of these documents to the academic departments as necessary. All documents become property of the University and may not be forwarded to other institutions.

Credit from other Institutions: If applicants wish to have graduate level transfer courses considered for their graduate degree at UNI, official transcripts must be submitted to the UNI Office of Admissions at the time of admission to graduate study. A Graduate Transfer Credit Evaluation form is also required for each course the student wishes to submit for transfer. Courses will not be evaluated for transfer credit eligibility until the student is in attendance at UNI.

Graduate credit earned at other regionally accredited colleges and universities and not applied to a degree may be accepted to a maximum of one-third of the minimum number of hours required by a particular UNI graduate degree program, but doctoral programs may allow a smaller fraction of transfer hours. Transfer credit is not processed for students in non-degree status. Credits earned from other institutions will not satisfy the minimum 200/6000-level course requirement (or 200/6000- 300/7000–level requirement for doctoral degrees). Transfer courses taken after degree admission will not be processed or approved for inclusion in the program of study until official transcripts for these courses are filed with the Office of Admissions, and a Graduate Transfer Credit  Evaluation form is completed. A Graduate Transfer Evaluation Form must be completed for each course a student wishes to transfer, including courses taken prior to admission to the graduate program, unless the course is on a transcript from Iowa State University or the University of Iowa.

Prior to departmental evaluation of the course for use on the UNI graduate degree program, all transfer courses must satisfy criteria established by the Graduate Council. The Office of Admissions is the sole determiner of whether a course meets these criteria.

  1. Course must be a regular graduate course with a graduate course number (not professional development or college credit through an Educational Agency or conference).
  2. Course must be taken by the student in graduate status, and the official transcript must show a grade of B- or better earned.
  3. Course must be applicaboe as a graduate graduate requirement at the institution where it is taken.
  4. Course must be taught by regular graduate faculty.
  5. Course must meet the UNI seven-year recency requirement.

After a course has been ruled eligible for graduate transfer credit by the Office of Admissions, the student may submit an online Student Request to transfer the course and use it on the graduate degree. Credits not needed to meet degree requirements will not be transferred. Application of eligible transfer courses to the UNI degree program requires approval by the program. A student pursuing a graduate degree program should discuss plans to transfer credits with the program advisor as soon as possible. Academic departments are not obliged to count toward their degree programs any credit for course work undertaken without specific advice provided by the department.

No transfer credit is processed for students in Non-degree status.

Graduate Record Examination (GRE) & Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)

The GMAT Score is an admission requirement for the MBA and MAcc programs and must be taken before an admission decision can be made. Students seeking admission to other degree programs which require the GRE tests must be taken before an admission decision can be made. Only test scores sent directly from the issuing Test Agency to the UNI Office of Admissions are considered official.


Racial/Ethnic Data (Optional)

The U.S. Office of Education, in compliance with the Civil Rights Act of 1964, requires institutions of higher education to compile and report enrollment data on students, according to racial/ethnic compositions. These data are for statistical purposes only, will not be used in determining admission and will be treated confidentially. The University of Northern Iowa is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, sex, disability, or sexual orientation, and to a policy of affirmative action.


Application Checklist for U.S. Students

  • - Submit a completed Application for Admission to Graduate Study online or mail to the Office of Admissions, 
      UNI, Cedar Falls IA 50614-0018.
  • - Pay by credit card or submit a personal check or money order made payable to the  University of Northern Iowa, to the Office of Admissions, UNI, Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0018. (Not necessary for applicants who earned a degree or anticipate receiving a degree from UNI.)
  • - Ask your degree issuing institution(s) to send an official transcript of your academic record directly to the 
      Office of Admissions. If you are a degree status student you must provide an official transcript from all other 
      institutions attended since earning the bachelor's degree.
  • - If you are currently enrolled in university study and it is necessary to initially send incomplete transcripts of 
      record, make arrangements to have a final transcript sent as soon as possible.
  • - Make arrangements to have GRE, GMAT, or other required standardized examination scores sent directly by the issuing testing agencies to the Office of Admissions.
  • - If you are seeking financial assistance through the Graduate College, a major department, or through the Office  of Financial Aid it is imperative that you forward all necessary documents and requests as quickly as possible.  No action on your request for financial assistance will be processed until all necessary admission and financial aid documents are received. Decisions regarding financial aid and graduate assistantships/tuition scholarships will be delayed until after admission is determined and all financial aid documents are on file. Questions regarding graduate assistantships/scholarships should be directed to the Graduate Coordinator of the program to which you are applying. Questions and requests for assistance through federally sponsored programs should be directed to theOffice of Financial Aid (319-273-2700 or 800-772-2736) or online at
  • - For on-campus housing contact the Department of Residence at or call 319-273-2333 or 

Application Checklist for International Students

  • - Prospective graduate students must have graduated from an undergraduate program with results equivalent to a 3.00 GPA (grade point average) or above on a 4.00 scale.
  • - Apply online or send the completed application for admission to International Admissions.  If you complete the application by hand, print legibly so your name, address and other information will be correct on University 
  • - Pay by credit card or send a bank draft or money order to the International Admissions Office, 002 Gilchrist   Hall, University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, IA  50614-0018, USA, made payable to  the University of Northern Iowa.  If you are applying electronically, be sure to include your name (and U.S. social security number if available) on the check for matching with the electronic application.  This application fee is not necessary for applicants who earned their bachelor's degree from UNI.
  • - All official school transcripts, each bearing the seal and signature of a school registrar and mailed directly from the institution to the UNI Office of Admissions.  Academic records must be submitted in the language of 
    instruction and accompanied by an English translation.
  • - A TOEFL score of 550 (paper based), 79 (iBT) or an IELTS score of 6.5 for applicants whose first language is not English.  Some programs may require a higher score. 
  • - Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT) score of 500 or above is required to enter the Master's of 
      Business Administration (MBA) program and the Masters of Accounting (MAcc).
  • - The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required for doctoral programs and for some master's programs.

      Additional requirements for specific programs can be found at: - and -
  •   Financial Statement and Certification for International Students form
  • - On-campus housing information will be provided upon admission.